Toxins are responsible for many of the visits we see here at the emergency hospital. The vast number of toxic agents around us and the inquisitive nature of our pets makes exposure a common occurrence. Treating toxicities can be very rewarding when the toxin is identified and treated early. Many pets are saved from severe illness or death because of rapid response by their guardian and appropriate treatment at the hospital. Other situations can be very difficult to treat when the type of exposure is unknown or there are delays in getting them to the hospital. Some poisons such as antifreeze are so very toxic and work extremely rapidly that there is little time to waste if treatment is to be successful.
At R.E.A.C.H. our doctors are experienced at treating a variety of toxins. We work with veterinary toxicologists on some cases to stay current on the large variety of prescription medications, insecticides, etc. that pets are frequently exposed to. Because toxicities are such a common occurrence, much of the continual training and education that we receive is focused on recognizing and treating toxins.
The first step in protecting your pet from toxins is to recognize what is poisonous to them and to prevent exposure. Unfortunately, despite the best intentions, accidents happen. When this is the case it is best to seek professional advice immediately. We have compiled a list of the most common toxins that pets are exposed to and have also included information on other potential toxins that you should be aware of. Please keep in mind that there are many things that can be toxic to pets that may not be on this list. If in doubt please contact us or your primary care veterinarian. We hope that this information will be useful in protecting your pets.
CLICK HERE FOR PLANTS THAT ARE TOXIC TO YOUR PET